Navigation Home Contact Us About Us Resources Forms
Divisions Environmental Nursing Health Education Public Health Preparedness Vital Statistics
What's New Information for Prospective Parents
Free Blood Pressure Clinics
Flu Shot Info
ACCHD Staff Log In
Health education is more than knowing how tlive a healthy life. It is about creating a culture of health where the resources for healthy living are available in places people live, work, worship, play, and shop.
- Creating Healthy Communities
- Vision: Making the healthy choice the easy choice
- Mission: Creating Healthy Communities (CHC) is committed tpreventing and reducing chronic disease statewide. Through cross-sector collaboration, we are activating communities timprove access tand affordability of healthy food, increase opportunities for physical activity, and assure tobacc-free living where Ohioans live, work and play. By implementing sustainable evidence-based strategies, CHC is creating a culture of health.
Communities Preventing Chronic Disease
Mission: To prevent obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and stroke by establishing policies, systems, and environments that:
- Increase access tphysical activity and healthy foods
- Improve access thigh-quality, team-based care utilizing electronic health data and quality improvement strategies
- Integrate healthcare data and public health surveillance data
- Expand access tdiabetes prevention and hypertension community programming
- Through this grant, the Healthy Connections Clinic was established at the Athens City-County Health Department as a resource that physicianscould use trefer patients tlifestyle programs, cooking classes, and physical activity support.
- The Healthy Connections Clinic at the Athens Health Department connects people tcommunity resources. Our public health nurses and health educators are available tmeet during health department hours for walk-ins or by appointment, but nappointment is necessary."
- Healthy Connections Clinic Flyer
- Through the Healthy Connections Clinic you can be provided with a lifestyle community health worker.A lifestyle community health worker, or CHW, is a community member whcares about your health and will accompany you on the path tbecoming the best version of yourself. CHWs bridge the gap between healthcare and the community by providing education and navigation services. You and a CHW will work together on the goals that YOU choose. A CHW may help you make changes tyour lifestyle FREE of charge."
- Learn more about the community health worker program here: Lifestyle Community Health Worker Brochure
- Funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the OhiDepartment of Health
Five of the seven leading causes of death in Ohican be directly linked tlifestyle (diet, tobaccuse, and lack of physical activity).
- Heart Disease (26,878 deaths)
- Cancer (24,986 deaths)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease(7,007 deaths)
- Stroke (5,690 deaths)
- Diabetes (3,563 deaths)
- Total deaths in 2013
According to a 2014 report by countyhealthrankings.org :
- Ohiranks 39th out of 52 states in overall healthcare
- Athens county ranks 68th out of 88 counties in overall health outcomes
- Athens county ranks 72nd out of 88 counties in health behaviors ex: Obesity rate, Smoking, Physical Inactivity